What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

why

this month has actually gone by pretty fast for me. i don't know why exactly, but its also been easier. i don't really miss TV and i now have a lot of time to catch up on my reading. however, i told my friend at school about the fast and he said, "So you can't do ANYTHING? You could just not do it and say you did because that sounds really dumb and boring and no one would know" so i explained to him that it was my choice to do it, and i was going to go through with it even if he thinks its dumb. haha. Even after that he still didn't get why im doing this fast. So its stuff like this where it gets hard because i actually don't want to break it, its just the explaining WHY to my friends.
We are almost done! Im praying for you all. =)

1 comment:

  1. Next time you get asked why you are doing it... ask them why they won't. Usually they'll say something along the lines of "I don't have to. I don't want to be bored. I don't think it's a big deal." Whatever they say is fine, don't argue. Just get them thinking... then you can say, "Do you think you could actually do it for even a week?"... Most of the time they'll say "No". Respond, "I didn't think I could either, but I've been focusing on my relationship with God and friends without it relying on media... and I've almost made it." Or something along those lines. If they say, "Yes, I could do it." Challenge them to try it. Just remember, when someone challenges your commitment, either they will be influenced and inspired or they will make it seem like it's not a big deal because they can't do it... either way, don't make them feel bad... just be honest. It's all about you and Jesus - tell them that. Hope this extremely long comment helps!

    ReplyDelete