What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Friday, February 27, 2015

Media Fast Goal



This is not only my first year participating in the  Media Fast, but it's also my first year attending Arcade Church, so this will be a whole new experience for me. My main goal this year is to trade the media in my life for the bible. At the beginning of the year I started a bible plan, but since then I've fallen behind because of school and the distracting media surrounding me. I not only need to catch up on my reading, but then I need to spend more quality time with it. I typically do my reading at night, when in reality, I think I'd be able to focus on it deeper during the day time. Overall, I want this month to reflect that I'm living a life full of and focused on God. Taking out the meaningless gossip and loud noise circulating the world just seems so peaceful, I'd much rather fill my life with praise than what's around me now. I wouldn't say I'm particularly interested in media in general, so the fasting part shouldn't be too hard. The thing I'm most concerned for is still being able to interact with others around me; my friends are extremely supportive, but my family isn't as encouraging (my immediate family doesn't go to church with me). I just pray that God will lead me through this, work within my family, and that this will have an impact on my life and how I perceive things. Thank you so much to all of my sponsors, your support is both encouraging and appreciated. 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are jumping in! You are already becoming an influential leader in the youth group! So happy to have you a part of our journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I dont know if we have met YET, but I have definitely seen you around at church, and I'm super excited to get to know you more from now until the missions trip (ps the missions is soooo much fun im stoked) BUT i hope to see you around more on Thursdays and I'll come say hi!!! Good luck this month, I'll be praying for you! (ps #2, the first week is the hardest, it WILL get easier)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be praying for you Katie! 1

    ReplyDelete