What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, March 16, 2015

Half Way There


"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

First of all, I want to thank you high school students doing the media fast. You inspired me this month to give up Facebook & Instagram! ...Ok I know Facebook isn't really that cool anymore, but for those of us in our mid-20's it's a huge deal. Why? Well our friends are traveling the world, getting married, starting families, and moving up in their jobs.  It is really easy to get sucked into the "grass is greener" game.  While I am very blessed with my life, I have been pretty sick the past few months and its easy to get discouraged and jealous of other...NO GOOD! So while I am forced to fast from many foods for health purposes, I thought it best to fast from my go-to facebook and instead go-to God! You know what...it has been so healing in so many ways!

I wanted to share with you a verse we read at my International Student Bible Study last Friday. Matthew 6: 9-13, also known as the Lords Prayer! Pay close attention to the last 2 lines...
  
Pray then like this:
“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,on earth as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread,

 and forgive us our debts,as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil.



God wants us to pray that we do not fall into temptation!  As good as I thought I was doing with avoiding my Facebook...I still almost click the app every time I am bored and open my phone! I create statuses in my head to post daily and almost click the "share on facebook" link when I read an article I like. As humans we form habits, which isn't a bad thing, but can make temptation all to easy. Isn't it cool that God wants to be part of our struggle? He wants us to make this part of our prayer to not be tempted.  

I hope you all stay strong these next 14 days! What an awesome journey it's been so far. I'm excited to see how God continues to use this fast in our lives.

Michelle Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment