What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Sunday, March 1, 2015

In the Beginning...

So it begins. The famous Media Fast. Though I've never participated in the Media Fast, I have heard of the wonders it can do to people. I hope that by the end of this telltale trial I will see the beauty in all of God's creations, the wonders of His hands. I hope that I will have a better grasp on my time on secular media, and I hope that I can see when I am giving in to my idols instead of focusing on God. I am very excited for this month, but I can feel dread threatening to spill out and distract me from the real purpose. I have heard that it is a hard month; I know that it will take much prayer and perseverance to keep my from turning to my selfish desires and giving in to temptations so simple it would seem they wouldn't be a problem. If course, after having to fast from little things like Pinterest or TV, they will become big temptations. What once seemed like a small, insignificant thing is now a huge temptation. I pray that all of us will persevere and not give in to the temptations of this world. To those who are sacrificing their money to support us, I thank you. It helps us so much to know that there are people who want us to know the Lord and are willing to give money and time in prayer to let us know that they want it, too. To those who are participating along with the high schoolers in this Media Fast, I thank you, too. It means a lot to me that you would not see this a just a month for the high schoolers; you would actually decide to participate along with us. I pray that you all will also be brought closer to the Lord. So, as I said before, so it begins... Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Madeleine!! You are strong in your faith! You got this girl! I will be prying for you!

    ReplyDelete