What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, March 28, 2016

O-o-oh, Listen to the Music

The end is drawing near, and I feel more alive and ready to face a godless world more than ever before. I'm really excited to end the Media Fast, but not because I just can't wait to get back to secular media. In fact, it's just the opposite. I'm realizing that all the things I thought essential to my life are actually quite worthless - except, of course, for God. I decided that I'm not going to immediately jump back into Instagram, secular books, movies, or TV shows, but rather stay my walk with Christ and avoid those things. There was one thing I didn't mention, however, and that's music. Music is one of my strongest passions. Playing, singing, or listening to music always makes me happier. 
     I have been listening to KLOVE almost every day this month, and I've grown to know and love most of the songs they play. Music was the medium that brought me the closest to God. Yes, reading a Proverb and a Bible plan definitely drew me near to Him, but because I have found such a deep resonance with music, it has influenced me and empowered me the most. Listening to the words of others who are passionate about the Lord is awe-inspiring to me, and then to put it to song is even better. So, although Christian music has been my go-to this month, I have also struggles the most with secular music. Often times when I would start to sing a secular song with my sister, I wanted to listen to the real deal, but would then remember that I couldn't. It also reminded me that God gave us voices for a reason, and we should use them to glorify Him, not the world. My only worry for the end of the Fast is that I'll immediately turn back to secular music, because no matter how hard I try, I can't get the longing out of my head and my heart. I pray that God will use this strong temptation to show me the necessity of His worship rather than the world's worship.
     I pray that we will all finish strong and continue to live out our lives to the fullest for Him after the Fast. We're almost there!
     Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment