What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Ok... So this is happening

Well, as I'm sitting here at my desk typing out this blog I can already see the impact that this media fast could potentially have on me. Not only am I saying this because I have experienced this media fast before, I am also saying this because I am aware of how different our lives will be just after a few days of fasting. It doesn't take long to realize just how trivial all of this social media is, and yet how it really takes up the majority of most of our lives. For me especially, it is very very hard to resist event the slightest amount of temptation. See, at my school jesuit we use ipads to do just about 99.99% of our school work. And Guess what else you can access on your ipads? MEDIA, I know crazy right. Who would have thought you could access media on an electronic device. This means for me, that while I am doing my homework I am literally one click away from media at all time. It's ok though, I like a challenge. But challenges set aside, what I am hoping to gain throughout this media fast is to become a better man. I feel as though in our day and age, that media affects not only how people interact but how people will behave. I want to be someone that above all else, seeks God over anybody else including myself. I know this seems very cliche but sometimes the most obvious things in life are the ones that are most ignored. I know this media fast will not be easy, and I want to just remind everyone to not focus on not doing media. Instead, to focus on pursuing God above all.  As a Deepak Chorpa once said, "All great changes are preceded by chaos". The media fast may not be viewed as chaotic, but this quote still applies. Just remember, that even though the media fast will be tough. Some good will always come out of it, you just have to look. Good luck to everyone participating in the media fast! I hope you all the best, and for you to stay faithful and to get closer with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment