What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, March 28, 2016

The Home Strech

It's the last week of Media Fast! Which is crazy, it all went by incredibly fast (like media fast, see what I did there? I know, I'm hilarious). It feels like just the other day I was dreading starting it and now here I am in the home stretch. Honestly as bad as it sounds when we first started the media fast I really didn't expect it to help me or for me to be changed by it. I sort of just imagined it as an inconvenience. But the media fast has been really cleansing and weight lifting.It has helped get so much closer to God and learn more about his word. It has also changed my view of media (mostly social media) more than I ever thought it would. I definitely think it will change my habits after the media fast.
I think one of the best things that has come out of this, is not just my own spiritual growth but also my conversations about the media fast with other people. Social media is such a large part of our culture that it's hard for it not to come up multiple times a day. I have found that almost every day I ended up talking about the media fast with someone whether it was someone who I had already talked about it with or someone new. Some people just thought I was crazy for doing the media fast (and then insane for actually enjoying it) but I actually had some really great conversations with some of my friends about and because of the media fast. I have also been introduced to a lot of great Christian music, movies, and stories I don't think I would have discovered otherwise. I'm especially grateful to have the media fast over spring break, which I know would have been wasted on social media and secular movies and tv otherwise. I know it's going to be harder to limit my social media once the fast is over, but I'm hoping I will be able to. This truly has been an amazing month! I hope everyone else continues doing well with the fast! Have a great last couple days!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment