What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, March 28, 2016

The End Is Near!!!

     Repent!! The end is near! You need to get Sanctified or.. chicken fried. Just kidding, that's not the end I'm talking about.  I'm talking about the end of this amazing fast we've been on.  Actually, I haven't really been worried or counting down the days to the fast, but it sorta just crept up on me.  I have been experiencing exactly what you would expect from a month without secular media, which is a closer and noticeable connection with the Lord.  I have had to make small and big decisions lately, and I have actually prayed about it! (Crazy right?!) I didn't just say that I would pray about it, but I actually did, and I made sure to clear my mind of distractions for just a short while, and reserve that time for just God.  I definitely know that I didn't take any time to talk with God in my previous times before the media fast.  Even last year, my communication with the Lord was minimal, and therefore, my trust and relationship with him was also minimal.  I have noticed a large difference personally when I read my bible more often, and when I pray and the result or response has not always been immediate, but I feel at ease knowing that it's in God's hands.

     This last week (the break) was very difficult, because even though I had a lot to keep me away from media, I still found time where it was difficult to not listen to secular music, or watch a movie on my DVD player or read a book.  Instead I played guitar, or read a chapter of proverbs, or even prayed.  I also watched some veggie tales :)), and the movies Risen, and Miracles from Heaven. (which were pretty good but don't beat Veggie Tales, obviously!!).  I have learned quite a bit on both patience and trust during this media fast so far, and especially during the break that we had.  We all have only TWO days left!!! So keep strong everybody!  Oh and get right with the Lord or... Drive a Ford?

No comments:

Post a Comment