What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
I hope everyone else is doing well! Try not to forget the purpose of all of this. Its not as much to avoid media as it is to refocus our lives on God. Wow that sounded really cliche. But seriously. Good luck guys!
Sorry, I’ve been meaning to blog for awhile now but school was tying me down. I think it was the official kill-your-students-with-homework-week at my school . . . Anyway.
So these three days have gone really well. I’m spending a lot more time with my brother (David) and he’s helping me pick up my long forgotten guitar chords. So that’s really cool.
The thing that’s been the hardest for me so far is music, but I’m “defeating the temptation” pretty easily.
Ok so, I was reading through the book of James on Wednesday night and a verse really grabbed my attention: James 1: 5-8, 5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
Wow, powerful stuff. James is that really grounded guy that gets straight to the point and I think this verse explains what someone is like if they can’t defeat the temptation, it really makes me re-think what I’m doing.
Well I’m going to go play USC monopoly and rat slap with my parents. :]
Good luck you guys.
Keep the stories coming of how the fast is making an impact on your friends... Contest #1 ends tomorrow at midnight!
Tomorrow's devotional (Day 4) may give us some perspective on this... and maybe rekindle something in us about our relationships... check it out on the OurThirtyDevos tab above
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Here's the thought I had... maybe the key to surviving a fast begins with our relationship with God. Spending time with Him (that's what the OurThirtyDevos are for). But an addition to that is our relationships with each other. Praying together. Hanging out together. Being together... focusing on God... hmmm... sounds kind of like youth group and church.
So what do you think? What are some of your ideas?
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
1) Keep people up to date weekly, at the very least. The more you write, the more they can follow you and pray for you
2) You will need to have a "g-mail" account. I will make you a "contributer" and then you will recieve an email to log on. Follow the instructions by entering your Gmail account info (Gmail address and password). Once you are logged in, Blogger will come up.
3) On Blogger, you will see "Our Thirty Blog". Click on "New Post". Give your message a Title and begin writing.
4) Try to keep from rabbit trails. You want people to read what you are writing, so be honest and direct.
5) On the bottom of the box you write in, you will see in small print "Labels for this post"... put only your FIRST NAME AND LAST INITIAL in that box. This is VERY IMPORTANT! This is so all your posts will be listed under your name. I put my full name on it but I ask you not to... for your own safety.
6) Then click "Publish Post". If you want to edit it, you can go back and fix it. That's it!
I can't wait to hear your stories, if you need help, call me and I can walk you through it... I'm praying for you! Are you ready?