What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, April 6, 2009

too much thinking.

I'm just going to be totally honest when I say that I'm struggling. I'm keeping the fast but emotionally its been draining. My goal for this month has been to formulate as many of my thoughts on God as I can and I've been hitting a couple walls. There is sooo much grey area to the Christian faith! So many denominations and beliefs that one must choose between. Are tongues for today? How involved can women be in the church? How much wine is too much wine? How do I know that what I've always been taught is true? It's virtually impossible to completely prove anything in the area of faith. No one believes anything without a basis for that belief. So theological discussions always end up turning into an argument based on intellect, and the smartest man wins. How can we know that what we've put our faith in is legit?
So this is kinda what I've been dealing with. Too much time for thinking I guess, rather than mindlessly absorbing the TV for hours. But I really just want to know how to figure this stuff out!

2 comments:

  1. Hey. Just thought of a good movie. "Expelled" also has something to do with what you talked about... ok, maybe not, but your post reminded me of that one.

    Anyway, I'm praying for you, Hope. I think your questions are great! Maybe others are having the same thoughts. What if we all got together some time this week and just chilled and talked about some of this?... just a thought. My house is free so maybe we'll see who else is thinking about all this... ask around and let me know. Or maybe it's not what you are looking for but I thought I'd put it out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. its funny I have asked the same questions as well.. Especially the ones on why are there so many denominations and what makes us as baptist or even pentacostals or presbyterians true? Also if there are so many interpretations of the bible then what is true? And I've always wondered how involved a woman can be within the church... But your right there are some questions we may never know
    I think thats Gods way of saying have faith

    ReplyDelete