What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

No thanks, I'm just looking.

That is typically the response we give to all those pesky salesman in the department stores. They don't ever seem to leave you alone, do they? I mean, we just want to look around at all the stuff we want, with absolutely no intention of purchasing a single item.
I think that's what I've been doing in this fast, regrettably. I just go by every day, reminding myself of the media that I CAN'T have (things we can't buy) and don't listen to my friends/youth leaders (salesclerks) who are there to remind me of things that I CAN have and do. I accepted the fact that I can't have secular media (purchase an item) but don't really focus on replacing it with stuff such as: reading the Bible, praying, journaling, etc. I don't know about you, but whenever I'm reminded of that, I just kind of brush it off.
"Yeah yeah, I can read the Bible and pray but lets get real--I want TV." I have no intention of "buying anything."
It may have to do with the fact that I've been ridiculously busy with school, pit orchestra, and more. But nevertheless, I should not be making excuses.
This years fast hasn't been a complete failure, however. We're only halfway through! I did find a little extra time to write a story based on Jeremiah 29:11 which says: "For I know that plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
This verse is always very encouraging to me. Even though we may feel like we're just going through the motions, know that God has a plan for you and will always be there. He isn't going to settle for: "I'm just looking."
Praying for you all and I hope this fast is going amazing for everyone! :)
-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment