What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Friday, March 17, 2017

Sweet Tunes, Man

The media fast is an interesting time of year. This is only my second year doing it but both times around, it has been a period of growth and revelation. I have found that as much as I enjoy social media and tv throughout the year I have very little trouble staying off of it for the fast.

I definitely think staying away from my music has been the hardest thing. In an effort to replace my usual secular playlists, I have not only been listening to my favorite worship songs, but have also found a lot of new ones. About a week ago I played a random Christian spotify playlist while doing classwork in my last class of the day and I genuinely left school that day feeling calmer than I had in a while. I listen to a lot of music throughout the year and I have realized I don't listen to Christian music enough. There is something so powerful in listening and relating to someone else's music even when it's secular and when you bring that into christian music, when we make that connection in our faith it only makes the effect stronger. There is a reassurance that comes with listening to worship music throughout our daily lives. So much goes on in our lives it can be hard to stay focused on God or keep him in mind throughout our daily routine. At least for me the music serves as a reminder of who God is and that he's always with me even as I struggle or stress.

I hope everyone is enjoying their media fast experience. Keep up the great work! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment