What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

MEdia fast

Over and over again I find myself rejoicing in the media fast, more so this year than ever before. I am not dragged down by the distraction of secular media but instead I feel lifted up in its absence. While I truly struggle at times to stay off of social media, not having anything to really do on my phone has given me cause to set it down and occupy myself elsewhere.
               I have devoted my life (basically) to spoken word. Not just any spoken word poetry, but live performances that are full of passion for Christ. Each one brings inspiration and goosebumps, and each poet has a unique message and testimony of their faith. My favorite one so far is called Identity Crisis of a Misfit, and it is talking about how, as Christians we become so focused on our image and on how we appear to others that we disregard how God sees us, which is ultimately way more important. One line in his poem is "I would rather be an outcast now then cast out later." My life should be reflecting God's work in my life, and if that makes me not fit in then so be it. I would like God to welcome me into heaven rather than live halfway in between and be unrecognizable to God. 
At the very beginning of his poem, he says "I began with media, because media begins with ME." I made the obvious connection to the fast and I began to see the real truth in that. Media is designed to show your best you, and in promoting yourself, your attention remains fixed on yourself instead of on God. This spoken word poem has resonated deeply with me and I would suggest it to all of you ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubhEudCSJHA
Happy Media Fast!!!

Megan 

No comments:

Post a Comment