What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Sunday, March 6, 2016

American Noise

Hello Media-fasters! Week one was a success! I partially attribute my success to my busy schedule, the "American Noise" around me. I am someone you might call ADHD, or a busy-body, meaning that I always like to be busy, there's never a dull moment in my life. If i ever don't have something to do, I'll find something to do, for example: this week, when i might have normally been watching a movie or reading a book, I decided to re-organize my room and bookshelves and dresser and closet...three times. On a day to day basis, I go from school to either work or practice, and from there to homework to whatever else i may need to do. But in this busy schedule, where does Christ fit in? I do my devotions in the morning, pray throughout the day, and read what I am required to for Bible class (private school kid). I love to read the Bible on my own, and meditate on the text, but in my busy schedule, sometimes it is hard to do that. This week, God has brought Psalm 46:10 to my mind constantly, "Be still, and know that I am God." So often in my American lifestyle everything is go, go, go, and it's always fast-paced, so we never have to stop or slow down, but that takes away all our time to soak in God's creation and the wonder of the world He created for us. The "American Noise" consumes us and we have no time to be in awe of His presence or marvel at His glory and His character. I have to constantly remind myself, "be still, be still, be still, trust and know that He is God." Our time is God's hands, and He is sovereign to be in control of every aspect of our lives. He is trustworthy, and He gives us rest in the midst of our American Noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment