What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

I'll Just Look That Up...

     I realized another thing that I use more than I thought: Google. I mean, it seems like no big thing, and it's really handy when you need to just figure out the answer to something.
Truth of the matter is that when I don't have to rely on a book or a person to find an answer, and I can look on a device that fits in my hand for the answer to virtually any question I have, I begin to wonder if I really need people. Or books. Or anything that's slower and less reliable (in a matter of speaking) than the internet. And I realize that this category of "slow" might include God and the Bible. God doesn't always give us the answer to our question immediately. All we can do in the time of waiting is pray and trust that the absence of a clear answer is part of His plan. But, in a quickly revolving world where infinite knowledge is literally a tap away, God's all-knowing power seems unnecessary and inconvenient. If God is so great, then why should we wait?
     The answer to this, at least for me, is trust. I know I can trust God with ALL things because He has a Plan for me; one that I don't and can't fully understand, which is the point. The trouble is that I've gotten so used to being able to get the answer right away that I feel very impatient and snubbed by God when I don't get the answer to my questions. My grandma once said that the new age of a world wide web has almost entirely eliminated the phrase "I wonder...". And she's absolutely right. I think that the media fast has been and will bring that "I wonder" back into my life, especially when it comes to trusting God. I pray I will be tested with things I don't have the answer to just so I can practice being content with not having the answer.

     I have been listening to K-LOVE a lot, and I hear a lot of songs that hold this truth in their lyrics. One of them is My Savior, My God by Aaron Shust, and the opening lines say, "I am not skilled to understand/ What God has willed/ What God has planned", which I feel is very accurate, and it brings me peace to hear it in the context of "My Savior loves/ My Savior lives/ My Savior's always there for me". He has a master Plan, and though sometimes it seems like the loving thing for Him to do was change our life from bad to good, we can't see what the future holds but we can be comforted in the knowledge that He loves and cares for us, so His Plan is perfect and holy.
     I know this isn't exactly centered around "How did your first week in the Media Fast go?", but I really wanted to share these thoughts, and I hope that it makes at least a little bit of sense (I mean, it kind of shows my struggles from the week...). Thanks for all of your support! Praying for you all!
Madeleine

1 comment:

  1. Madeline.. This is so encouraging and awesome. I absolutely love it, it's making me think!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete