What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Expectations

     It's that time of year again: the Media Fast! I got back on the ol' blog and was checking out some old blog posts, including some of my own, and I was (and I'm trying to be humble here) impressed by some of the things I had said and was actually inspired by them because I had forgotten how awesome the fast had been in the last two years. However, I'm now stared in the face by a barely filled blog post and I want to say something witty or poetic or philosophical or wise or whatever. Something catchy. Something people would like. And I'm realizing that the feeling I get when I'm on social media, the longing to be accepted and liked and thought of as funny or popular or smart, has followed me out of social media and into the blogosphere of the Media Fast. Not exactly a good thing, is it?
     I crave that acceptance and attention, which I know I have from my Father, but social media tells me that I need people to tell me that I matter, that likes or retweets or the longest Snapchat streak determine my worth. I am worthy in the eyes of the Lord, and the insecurity and anxiety that I face in this secular world will be quieted by his love. Expectations fuel that anxiety, but since I'll be off the media that "holds" these expectations, I'll be more focused on what God has in store for me.
     So, after all that, I still need to answer the question: "What is your personal goal for the media fast this year?" Well, I think my goal is to be less obsessed with secular "acceptance" and more obsessed with discovering God's acceptance of me. I will be giving up all social media/games, such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest, as well as secular media, such as TV, books, movies, and music. TV and books won't be super hard to give up, as I don't have a lot of sit-down time to watch a TV show or read a bit of a book. However, my family usually watched movies together on the weekends, so giving up most of the movies we usually watch will be difficult, but it will also give us the opportunity to discover Christian movies. I'd have to agree with Brandon about the difficulty of giving up music, because I love music and connect to different styles in different ways, so giving up secular music is going to be hard for me, especially with how easily accessible it is. However, I'm looking forward to hearing new songs on KLOVE and listening to songs that I added to my Spotify "Jesus Jams" playlist this time last year, rediscovering the connection I made with them last year and making new connections to God through them this year.
     Sorry for such a long post, but I hope this provides a bit of insight into my approach to the Media Fast and my wishes for the Media Fast. Thanks to all of you participating and supporting, and thank You, Lord, for all You've done in my life and all the things You're going to do.
     Happy Media Fast, everyone!
Madeleine Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment