What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

And They're Off!

Usually when I wake up, I head straight for the bathroom to start getting ready for my day, and I always bring my phone with me. I scroll through Instagram, send Snapchat streaks, or read an interesting book. However, today was different. I got up, changed, brushed my teeth, filled up my water bottle, and was ready to go in under five minutes. Normally, I take around 15 minutes to get ready in the morning. Just the simple act of cutting out my media saved me 10 minutes. It may go unnoticed by us in our daily lives how often we check our phones or unlock them just to turn them off again, or how many times a day we go to Instagram or Facebook to kill time.  But for those of us purposefully avoiding media, I realized how many urges I had to check my phone, and I am sad to admit it was more than I would have liked. I am not so addicted to social media that not going on Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook etc bothers me, but in fact it does the opposite. I don't have any time wasters. That means getting ahead on homework, studying for my math test, and practicing my several upcoming presentations. On the way home from school today, I noticed a beautiful tree with budding purple flowers that I know I would not have seen normally, as I would have been on my phone. We miss so much by the time that adds up very quickly when we are looking at distractions. Although it is hard for me even after one day to avoid Netflix and my favorite 80's music, I am excited to prove myself to God that he is the most important thing in my life, even if that means giving up things I "love." I am looking forward to the next 29 days as we all continue our journey.
-Samantha Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment