What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Expectations/Day 1

      I have been very nervous but also very excited to start this media fast. I have never done anything like this before, so it should be very different. I am hoping to focus more of my attention on reading the Bible, listening to gospel music, and watching movies centered around God. This media fast will be a great  accomplishment to boost my confidence in things that I can do whether I doubt my ability to do whatever it might be or not. I'm assuming that this fast will be very difficult, but a great experience and month to grow in my relationship with God and to open my eyes to how much time that I waste every single day.
      Today was my first day of the media fast and it actually went very well. I was surprised at how little I missed using various applications on my phone, watching television, etc. I must admit that I checked my phone pretty often for notifications that I didn't have. Although, I didn't miss responding to them as if they had a great significance in my life at all. I listened to some music by Lecrae and other music by Chris Tomlin throughout the day and found some very strong and powerful lyrics in their songs. By doing this media fast even just for one day so far, I can see how much time that I waste doing different pointless things on my phone from the time I wake up until the time that I go to sleep. Even though there are 29 days to go, I was glad to see how little I missed these pointless things in my life and I hope that it continues to get better from here on out. I am very excited and hopeful for what these upcoming weeks are going to bring and goodluck to all that are participating!

No comments:

Post a Comment