What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Going Great but Big test underway

So far the Media Fast has been going great! After the first couple days, it is now becoming easier and easier. I've been putting in a fair amount of time reading the bible and doing the devotional, as well as getting ahead of next months homework and reading. I have also been having very long conversations with my theology teacher at Jesuit about my walk with God and how much good he can do for me in this month. Yesterday was a tough day because although I'm not the most popular guy, I was surprised to find like 15 notifications of text messages on my phone in just that one day. It's hard not only to not be able to respond, but also not being able to read the messages. It's also hard because at Jesuit we use iPads to do our homework, and we have our text books on there. I asked my colleagues to pray for me but instead most of them will shove their phones and tablets that have twitter feeds and games in my face. This makes it rather more difficult, Its also hard because when the teacher says we have free time all of the kids around me will pull out their phones and play games and check twitter. I have been pulling out my bible or studying, which can be difficult because kids are constantly asking me why I am doing this, and then I tell them why and they'll say something like "that's stupid". This next weekend I get to go up to Indian Wells to see a tennis tournament of my favorite professional players. This will be fun and a good distraction as this was a late birthday present. The good thing is is that this weekend I am going to Seattle to visit my sister and her boyfriend (Scott Sumner) as well as more of my family. This first week so far has been challenging, but thanks be to God I am staying strong and happy. I hope that all of my fellow media fasters are staying strong too, I am praying for you all!

1 comment:

  1. It's difficult when people who can't imagine making a commitment to something, call your commitments "stupid". I know you can make it... you may not see any impact on someone but your commitment is speaking louder than your words. Keep it up. And ask Scott and Heather what they dealt with on the fast... I bet they have some great stories. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete