What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Saturday, March 7, 2015

For the Glory of God

Well, to say the least, I've survived the first week. It has been an experienc like I have never had. It has been one of those kinds of things that you don't really think it's happening until it impacts you. Hard. This week has been fairly easy, but there were the times when I didn't have anything to do and was tempted to play Crossy Road or check Pinterest. The weekend was the part that impacted me hard. My family doesn't do a lot of tv watching during the week, but we usually watch at least one episode of Upon A Time on Friday and Saturday nights. Last night, we couldn't do that, so we played a card game as a family. It was really fun, and I realized how much I love spending time with my family, even if sometimes they get on my nerves (it happens to all of us). I think that what God wants for me is to see the simple beauties of life. When we are on social media or other forms of entertainment, we miss those pleasures that He has put before us. I noticed a beautiful sunset that I may not have noticed had I been on my phone. I have also been only listening to Christian music or classical music (wordless). For the Christian music, I have tried to listen and think specifically about the lyrics and how they apply to my life. I was listening to Lose My Soul by Tobymac, and the lyrics went something like, "I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul". I think this is true for me; I don't want to gain the most followers or post the best post or pin the greatest pins at the expense of my relationship with God. For the wordless music, I try to focus on the instruments and imagine the people playing them. The music is so beautiful and the musicians are so talented, and I think that there must be a God out there who loves us that He would give us gifts and talents to share with others. And the beautiful thing is that there are so many people that use their gifts and talents to glorify Him. I want that, and I think that fasting from the things that distracts me from doing so will help me discover how to give Him glory.
"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea." Habakkuk 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment