What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Halfway Point

Wow. Halfway point. I can't say as I've really struggled with parting with the media for half a month. In fact, I know it's been a huge help for me because I have been going through two very overwhelming school weeks, and had I not had the fast to keep me in line, I know i would have whittled away my time on Instagram. I have been doing a lot of on-the-phone and in-person talking because of a group project (which we finally presented today - all done!). However, now that it's done, I realize that I miss the talking to people instead of texting them, and I really don't even want to text people. This longing for interaction with people is a good example, I think, of what God intended for fellowship with other believers. Even though the people in my group weren't Christians, it still made me desire real contact with people, and it made me lose my desire for the media and texting community. I want to form real relationships with people, especially other Christians, and the removal of media has helped me do that.

On another note, I found a Bible plan on my Bible app that I've been using every day. Each day has a new topic, but the underlying theme relates to fellowship and community. I hope that even after the fast is over God will continue to strengthen my desire for Christian fellowship, and I can continue to grow in wisdom from the advice I receive from believers.

Love and prayers,
Madeleine

No comments:

Post a Comment