What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Friday, March 18, 2016

Have We Got a Show For You!

     Hello everybody! I had lots of fun this week and anticipating the fun I am going to have over the break!  It's still just as surprising how much fun you can still have without using social, or any kind of media really...   I have encountered some more challenges than usual, now that it's been longer than two weeks, and i'm less busy.  One example was the other day I went bowling with my friends, and they play music and music videos on the back wall, and it was torture for me, because a great song by my favorite band was playing!!  It was so difficult to not sing along with it, and even more difficult not to listen to it when I got home that night.  I concentrated on not focusing on it, and then said a silent and urgent prayer to God to help me restrain myself, since the friends I was with weren't christian, so the only person that could hold me accountable was myself.  It seems like such a simple and meaningless thing, but the issue was not physically listening to the song, but spiritually dwelling on it, and resisting the temptation to break a commitment between yourself and God.  I found that it was the perfect time to talk about it because this last Thursday at youth group, we talked about a verse in proverbs (I think? I can't remember which verse this was based off of :(((  ) and how God will take any worries or anxieties that we have, and carry our burdens for us, if we let him.  The conversation was focused a little more on the bad habits that he could help stop, but it was a very similar message to the 1st peter reference I made in an earlier post.

     Hey I also just recently watched some veggie tales movies at my Aunts house, and I still remember how good those used to be when I was younger, and (they are quite addicting and fun) I am planning on watching a few more for the duration of the media fast, (and maybe even past that ;) ) Well, good luck to those doing the media fast, and congratulations for getting this far!!   -Larryboy out

No comments:

Post a Comment