What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Year 4 Day 1

Two years ago, at summer camp, the speaker said something that has really resonated with me, even now. (I think that's pretty impressive considering I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday).
The speaker said "Stay faithful in the mundane" and I am making that my motto for this fast. It can be incredibly hard some days, especially the weekends when you're sitting around, but that's where this phrase comes into play. It is important to stay faithful in the fast and what you've committed to even when it becomes mundane and boring. 
On that note, day one of the media fast is well underway! My primary goals for this month are to be truly dedicated to the fast and to grow closer to God and the people around me in the process. While fasting from secular media is super difficult, I've come to see how important it is to getting an early start on a positive mindset for Arizona.  
I am ready to dive into this month and leave it with a different outlook on media. I am mainly trying to direct my attention away from social media, tv, and music. Those areas are always the hardest (especially since a ton of good movies and music always come out in March), BUT I am determined not to give in to the temptation!
For music I make playlists and only listen to those, on music apps like Spotify. (Predominantly Christian indie stuff but also tons of music without any words) 
For TV, I do extensive research to try to find a Christian movie that a) I haven't seen, and b) isn't obnoxiously cheesy, and c) is actually on Netflix. Usually I end up watching the same ones but I actually have quite a long list ready for this month!
Lastly for social media, there isn't really a substitution for this, which makes it the most difficult. Mostly I just delete all the apps and try to resist the urge to redownload them just to "check what's going on" 
Good luck to everyone this year, remember you get to go to Arizona in July :)

No comments:

Post a Comment