What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Monday, March 8, 2010

Just FINALLY getting started...

Hello everyone! I finally completed my first blog! Yay! Hahaha... anyways, the media fast is really hard for me because I miss facebook a lot... but hey, this is a great time for me to connect with God! I have been reading Numbers a lot this week. I was sitting at my desk the other day, and all of a sudden, this voice from somewhere told me to read Numbers 6, and vuala! It talked about fasting and how hard it was for people back then to fast from wine and other stuff that they liked to do. I can really relate to this because when the Nazirites said that they had hardships while not drinking wine, I have a hard time not going on facebook. When it says in Numbers chapter 6, verse 4: "As long as they are bound by their Nazirite vow, they are not allowed to eat or drink anything that comes from a grapevine, not even the grape seeds or skins", I realized that even though other websites may not be titled "facebook", they are still a part of the "grape" as a whole. I have to thank Matt when he said in one of his blogs that he doesn't want this blogging into another replica of facebook, I realized that I was doing that exact thing by posting 'random pictures' and other random stuff on here. I already knew, but needed a reality check about the blogging being about your progress during the media fast, not what your random pictures are. And I point this out to myself, but I hope that maybe this will help others too not only during the media fast, but afterwards too. One of the challenges that I have had to face so far was not going to see Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief. One of my friends invited me to go see it with her, and I had to turn her down. I really wanted to see this movie because it was a really good book and because it had Logan Lerman in it. I thought that Logan [Lerman] was really cute. I then opened my bible to Proverbs (one of my favorite books because it gives the best advice!) and randomly went to Proverbs 23 and read and happened upon verse 9 of which says: "Don't waste your breath on fools, for they will despise the wisest advice." Then, a little while back, before the media fast, I was on facebook looking up some stuff on Logan Lerman, and I found one of his quotes which said: " I don't know if the movie will reach Twilight levels of obsession, but if it does, I'm ready for it!" Don't ask me how I remembered it, I just did... And if you read thru to verse 12: " Commit yourself to instruction, attune your ears to hear words of knowledge." I then realized that the only reason I really liked Logan Lerman was because I thought he was really cute... but it turns out that I need to look deeper into a person like God does, he looks at their heart. That is what I need to do more often. And once again, I thank you very much Matt, I needed the help and check-up because I was turning my blogging into another facebook substitute! Well, I'm probably boring you with my words, so I will just not blog anymore right now! Always keep GOD at the the vanguard of your mind! Good luck with the media fast! :)
~Jessica Burns

4 comments:

  1. *Ahem*.....I believe you mean Logan SKILLMAN hello! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel your pain jessica! i had to do the same thing to my friend! but i had to turn down jonny depp... and no, i believe she meant LERMAN...haha

    ReplyDelete