What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

What I have learned so far

For the first week it was completely tempting to go on my social media but I fought off that temptation by completely deleting any social apps off my phone. Now that the month is more than half way done I have definitely learned something. And that is that social media was my everyday thing to go on, it was like some sort of necessity for me just having to go on it and checking what was up. But it really isn't important, my life hasn't changed whatsoever without it. It just takes up my time when I could be using it to build my relationship closer with God. There is this verse I read when I was reading Proverbs that goes "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6. So as this month is coming closer to an end I hope that I don't return back to how I was before, to how I went to watching Netflix when I had nothing better to do or just scroll down my feed on Instagram just to pass the time.  But instead stop myself and do something good for myself such as listening to the Arcade podcast or learn a couple of Christian songs on my guitar and instead of checking my phone before I go to bed I would read the bible, right now I am trying to make it my daily routine. Hope you guys could pray for me to accomplish my goals and that I will successfully complete this media fast.

Sophya Vecherkovskiy

2 comments:

  1. The Kistner family is praying for you, Sophya! It's wonderful to hear how the Lord is changing your heart through this time of fasting. Keep seeking Him!! You are an encouragement to us as well. God bless!!
    ~Laura Kistner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Sophya, you have learned something very valuable at a very young age. There are many things in this life, while not bad things, but they suck the life out of us and our time with God. We are easily ensnared with the things of this world, and social media is just the latest in the list of things that move us away from God, not closer to Him.

    I so love the verses that you chose "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6. These are the verses that got me through a very difficult time recently while caring for my mom who had Alzheimer's. God was faithful and He will be for you too. :-)

    Praying for you all,
    Linda Swanson

    ReplyDelete