What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Sunday, March 8, 2015

First Week

I've successfully survived my first week of media fasting. It wasn't too hard because I'm not one to be glued to my phone 24/7, but I still experienced a lot of the challenges. I personally didn't turn off my notifications, so I still know when people text me, but rather than looking at it, I call them to see what it's about, if it's important etc. I'm sure that more than enough of my friends have been kind of shocked seeing that I'm calling them rather than sending them a quick text. Getting through this first week doing things like that has been somewhat of an eye opener for me. So many people these days rely on texting and are almost uncomfortable hearing my voice over the phone. I just think it's a bit sad that this generation loses a sense of sincerity and personality when communicating. Along more personal lines, this past week and the upcoming week have been/will be extremely stessful school wise and I'm really relying on God to pull me through it. I'm currently working on a major project involving the community and plastic pollution, and because of all of the outside efforts being put in, it's a lot more time and energy consuming than anticipated. Thankfully, after much prayer, the Lord has been by my side, working with me through it. In this post I just want to emphasize prayer. It's so powerful and has been so vital in my life. In my times of need I've prayed to God, and no matter the measure, big or small, he has answered. In this I just want to remind those reading of two verses, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us" 1 John 5:14 and "He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along" Psalm 40:2. Both verses have been a source of hope in my times of need. As we continue throughout the month, remember that you are not alone, you have your sponsors, your fellow high schoolers, and above all you have God walking along side you. Thank you so much for all of the support, love, and prayer; I look forward to keeping you up to date on how the Lord is working in my life. :) 
Most Played Songs this Week:                                      
Oceans (where feet may fail) by Hillsong United         
Come Thou Fount by Shane and Shane                             
Great I Am by Phillip, Craig, and Dean                          
Let There Be by Gungor                                                   
You Have Me by Gungor                                                  
Some of my Favorite Verses: 
Isaiah 40:31
Philippians 4:13
Psalm 139:16
Jeremiah 29:11
Psalm 40:2

No comments:

Post a Comment