What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Halfway There

I'm practically half way there and I feel great! These past weeks were very stressful, but on Friday I finished up a lot of things at school, at home, etc. and I just felt so care free. Last night my family and I played a board game, I made dessert, and we all had a really good time which just set me up for a good morning. I want to give a huge thanks to my sponsors because they have been so extremely supportive, especially in this last week. Your prayer has been very prevalent in my life lately, 'How gracious the Lord will be when you cry for help. As soon as he hears, he will answer you' Isaiah 30:19. Having supporters who take the time out of there day to send me an email, write me a letter, or pray for me, is the thing that ignites this spark of joy that will keep me going up until Thursday nights or Sunday mornings. For all of those participating in the media fast with me, really take this time, free from media and outside distractions, to be an example of the faith for others. When someone is trying to show you something like a youtube video or music (or whatever else), take that opportunity to tell them why you're not going to watch it. Just like Matt was talking about on Thursday, sticking to your commitments and setting these standards for yourself and then following through with them can be very powerful. People these days aren't as persistent, and seeing you stick to and stand up for something because of your faith can have an impact on them. They might see that you have something different because of your faith that they are lacking- that might be the defining moment in which they are pulled closer to God. As we continue on with our next couple of weeks keep this verse in mind, 'In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven' Matthew 5:16. Stay strong guys, I'll be praying for you!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, oh Katie you are a breath of fresh air. Your light shines. Thank you, How wonderful to play a board game with your family. You might now have fun together once a week or once a month. Keep strong Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete