What is a 30-Day Secular Media Fast?

What if the noise of godless media is drowning out the voice of God? Not all media is bad... but maybe the distraction away from God is making harder to hear and see God at work.

This is a journey of a group of high school students who have committed to take 30 days to focus on God through God-centered media. This includes TV, movies, books, magazines, smart phone apps, and many social media outlets.

Here, you can follow their stories, their lives, and their challenges. Feel free to leave comments and encouragement.

Read
Relate
Respond

Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Beginning

The media fast is back once again. I am so excited for this years fast and connecting with everyone involved. I had the amazing experience of ending February with winter camp with the middle schoolers. It was beautiful and incredible to get to connect with a wonderful group of kids while growing closer to God myself. I couldn't have asked for a better bridge into the media fast. The media fast is simple in theory and deceptively easy. Most people I talk to don't understand how easy it is to put away media. I personally spend a lot of time listening to music and nothing compares to worship music. It is amazing how a playlist of songs can change your mindset. The simple act of replacing my normal playlists with Christian ones has already made this week so much better. Putting away secular media is easy because of how rewarding it is. It is indescribable, the effect of focusing on God and his glory and actively working to grow closer to him. It not only improves my daily routines but i also believe the quality of life. Putting away these things of the world, like social media, tv, and music, it puts in perspective how little these things matter. It forces me to compare the shortlived rewards of nonsensical entertainment and the spiritual benefits of devoting oneself to God, two things that don't even go on the same scale.
I think another really important aspect of the media fast is the opportunity to spread the gospel through it. When you're friends ask you why you haven't been on instagram or why you cant listen to that new song, it is so easy to say I'm doing a media fast with my youth group and have a conversation wit them about it. Over the past three years i have had some pretty incredible conversations with people because of the media fast. It is such an easy tool to use to talk to people whether they do or don't know Jesus, about what you believe.
My prayers go out to those in the fast and everyone who is supporting it, our pastors, parents, sponsors, and supporters. I love hearing everyone's stories and I hope that as this month continues we continue sharing and talking. I am so excited to continue this media fast and find out more and more about God, his grace, and myself as I do every year. I hope that we all have the chance to feel the benefits of the media fast and grow closer together in fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment